Reinventing the basics: Looks that go from day to night
The plain white button-down shirt and the little black dress. Two classic wardrobe staples that everyone has but may not know how to style and accessorize. Sure, you can tuck that shirt into a pair of khakis or throw on some heels to match that dress, but why not try to make them a little less boring?
With a little thought, you can take these simple pieces and turn them into stylish, flattering looks for day and night. And what better way to reinvent staples than by dressing them up with pieces from local consignment and thrift stores? You can look your best, effortlessly, and be environmentally fashionable by reusing pre-owned clothing.
corduroy blazer, $19.50; trouser jeans, $18; necklace, $15; suede flats, $14.50; all from Fashionista Exchange.
brocade skirt, $29.50, and rhinestone belt, $8, Fashionista Exchange; peep-toe heels, $15, and patent clutch, $8, Savers; rhinestone bracelet, $3, Clothes Mentor.
"LITTLE" BLACK DRESS
$16, Clothes Mentor
ruffle cardigan, $10; skinny patent belt, $4; leopard-print flats, $5; satchel bag, $8; all from Savers.
statement necklace, $9, Clothes Mentor; bracelets, $1 each, peep-toe heels, $15, and colored tights, $5, Savers.
• Try a funky statement necklace to liven up an otherwise classic look.
• Roll up your sleeves and open up your collar to look less buttoned-up.
• Keep the look of a flashy skirt but opt for something a little longer (if you’re too modest for a mini) like this metallic accordion skirt, $12, Clothes Mentor. And the wide elastic waist is more comfortable than a belt!
• For the weekend, layer the white shirt under a long cardigan, and pair with leggings and knee-high riding boots.
• The super-versatile black dress can be mixed and matched with most anything — you could even layer your white shirt under it!
• Try colored or patterned tights to punch up your look while keeping your legs warm.
• Instead of going sleeveless at night, cover up with something like this vintage-inspired checkered jacket, $14.50, Fashionista Exchange.
Where we shopped:
Fashionista Exchange 8777 W. 95th St. • Overland Park, KS
Clothes Mentor 11610 W. 135th St. • Overland Park, KS
Savers 13509 S. Mur-Len Road • Olathe, KS
Photographer: Brooke Vandever
Art Director: Jaime Albers
Stylist: Jessica Marshall